Phalaenopsis amabilis is an species of Phalaenopsis .
This species is one of Indonesia's national flowers (along with Jasminum sambac and Rafflesia arnoldii). In Indonesia, it is commonly known as anggrek bulan(moon orchid). The base color of the flower is white, and it has little fragrance. It is able to bloom for a long period of time and can grow up to 10 cm in diameter or more. Plant blooms from spring to summer with several flowers. Flowers are 10 cm wide and mildly fragrant.
It is this species which Dr. C. L. Blume founded the genus upon. It was collected by Peter Osbeck in 1752 on a voyage from China to England. The plant was later described by Linnaeus in 1753 as Epidendrum amabile based on Osbeck's collected specimen. The plant was first bloomed in cultivation in England in September 1850.
Plant is found on tree trunks hanging bogs in the rainforest of northern Australia, Indonesia, Papua & New Guinea, the Philippines and New Britain at elevations up to 600 meters.
Grow in warm conditions. Pot in medium fir bark and keep in partial shade. Water about once a week. Keep plant fairly moist but not wet.
|Phalaenopsis amablis subsps. rosenstromii [Bail] Christensen 2001||Defined from the species by the shorter, narrowly triangular midlobe of the lip, with inconspicuous teeth at the base.|
Common Names: The Lovely Phalaenopsis, Moon Orchid
- Angraecum album majus Rumph 1750
- Cymbidium amabile [L.]Roxb. 1832
- Epidendrum amabile L. 1855
- Phalaenopsis amabilis subsp. moluccana (Schltr.) Christenson 2001
- Phalaenopsis amabilis var aphrodite subvar gloriosa [Rchb.f] Ames 1908
- Phalaenopsis amabilis var. aurea (auct.) Rolfe 1886
- Phalaenopsis amabilis var. cinerascens J.J.Sm. 1917
- Phalaenopsis amabilis var fournieri Cogn. 1898
- Phalaenopsis amabilis var gracillima Burb. 1882
- Phalaenopsis amabilis var grandiflora [Lindl.] Batem 1867
- Phalaenopsis amabilis var. moluccana Schltr. 1911
- Phalaenopsis amabilis var ramosa van Deventer 1935
- Phalaenopsis amabilis var rimestadiana Linden 1901
- Phalaenopsis amabilis var rimestadiana alba Hort 1906
- Phalaenopsis aphrodite var gloriosa [Rchb.f] Veitch 1891
- Phalaenopsis celebica Vlooten 1932
- Phalaenopsis gloriosa Rchb.f 1888
- Phalaenopsis grandiflora Lindley 1848
- Phalaenopsis grandiflora var. aurea auct. 1864
- Phalaenopsis rimestadiana [Linden] Rolfe 1905
- Phalaenopsis rosenstromii F.M. Bailey 1906
- Phalaenopsis ×elisabethae Hort. 1927
- Synadena amabilis [L.]Raf. 1836
- Sweet, Herman R.. The Genus Phalaenopsis. The Orchid Digest, 1980.